Saturday, July 27, 2013

Belonging, Significance, and Fun


What do these three words mean to you? They took on a whole new meaning to me after attending my first ever Responsive Classroom training this summer. It was the most amazing and beneficial training I had ever been to! Not to mention that it was timed perfectly to me starting my kindergarten journey. If you have never heard of it, you are so missing out. It is very hard to put RC into a nut shell, but basically it is a philosophy of teaching that helps you understand how to provide those three basic needs of human life into your classroom. Belonging, Significance, and Fun! I always thought I had those things in my class, but my whole teaching philosophy has now changed and I can't wait to implement it fully in the classroom this year. If you want to learn more about it, you can visit https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/ and here are some great books to get you started on your path, but if you ever get to go to the week long training, it is a must!

First Six Weeks of School by Paula Denton and Roxann Kriete
Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom Ages 4–14  by Chip Wood
Morning Meeting Book by Roxann Kriete
Power of Our Words Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
by Paula Denton, EdD





These are some things I made after the training to get me started. I also made a power point after the training so I wouldn't forget all the amazing things I learned. I will see if there is a way to post that on here for you. If you are a Responsive Classroom teacher, I would love to hear any advice that you may have for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment